Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 10: Island Paradise

Onward, away from Tartu, into the wilds of Estonia. Or at least onto a ferry and onto the island of Saaremaa.

I have to say, the more of the woods we see sliding past the bus windows, the more home, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, is brought to mind. Sure, there's less hills and different foliage but when waking up from a nap and looking dazed out at the landscape, the difference can't be told right away. There are the fields (except with more yellow flowers at times), the old farm houses, and the mix between evergreen and deciduous trees.

These are the thoughts that spin by during one of the more lengthy transits of the trip. That, and enjoying the new amount of space now that the San Diego section of our group went to St. Petersburg (somehow, I am not welding any huge sense of jealousy at that development).

A ferry ride on a smaller boat than I'm used to was different. Different mostly because though I thought I couldn't feel the rocking, my walking path would prove me drunken if I were on land. It swerved oddly no matter how hard I tried to take direct paths. The water was a merky green and the skies were gloomy, but the sea was relatively calm on the short ride to the island.

The island was bigger than expected. The "quick ride" to the tourist farm we were staying ended up being an hour, but that made the site of the destination all the more sweeter. Really. Cor. The tourist farm was a picture postcard of rustic Estonian life complete with comfortable beds, open fields, and some of the nicest layouts of food I've seen this entire trip. And the host was one of those sorts that made sure every detail was to the guest's satisfaction. Incredibly nice, nice, and nice. Good place to lay back and consider the trip so far and catch up on some reading in the fresh country air.

And a nap or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment